16/p677658254_296.gif
IJHS History Plaque



This historic plaque is located out in front of the seventh grade core classes. The plaque states: Ione Junior High; The first high school in Amador County was erected on this spot in 1903 by the Ione Academy, a private corporation. The original two-story structure. Built at a cost of $2,287 housed the school until 1939 As a result of the steady growth of enrollment a major building program was begun. The original structure was remodeled into a one story building. Four other buildins- three of brick veneer and one of stucco- were added and the project was completed in 1941 when the wood frame shop building was finished. The current gymnasium was erected in 1953. The last major building program was completed in the spring of 1975 when the new shop and the academic center is a replica of the remodeled original building which was destroyed by fire on November 26, 1972; Dedication by Grand Parlor; Native Sons of the Golden West